The Society for Investigative Dermatology’s (SID) Post-Doctoral Retreat is designed to provide PhDs in training, or pursuing a Post-Doc Fellowship, with an overview of different pathways available to a PhD interested in dermatologic research. The novel program will feature a special emphasis on grants and grant writing, as well as establishing a niche that will provide solid footing on today’s research career path.
The PhD and Resident Retreats are to be held in conjunction with the 2019 SID Annual Meeting, in Chicago, Illinois on May 8-11th. These programs will kick off on Tuesday, May 7th at 4:00 pm and will conclude on Wednesday, May 8th at 12:00 pm.
- Must be in a PhD training program, or have a PhD or MD degree
- Must be a graduate student or post-doctoral fellow
- Must be currently enrolled in a post-graduate research fellowship
- Must be nominated by their Lab Director or Principal Investigators to be considered
- Should be pursuing a non-clinical career with a focus in skin biology, career in research Academia, Industry, or Government
CANDIDATE SELECTION PROCESS
- The PhD Retreat Committee will review submitted materials
- The SID will support approximately 30 attendees for each Retreat
- Selected candidates will be notified in February 2019
- Institutions who have candidates for both PhD and Resident Retreats, will be considered separately
- Departments must agree to pay for candidates travel/flights to/from the Retreat
- The SID encourages departments to register retreat attendees from their respective department to attend the SID Annual Meeting
DEPARTMENTS NOMINATING MULTIPLE CANDIDATES
One of the Retreat goals is to achieve institutional diversity and introduce PhD’s to those from other programs. Dependent on the total number of applications received, we favor limiting attendance to only one candidate per institution, per Retreat; although the nomination of multiple candidates will be considered.
- If more than one (1) PhD from the same institution is selected to attend, the respective department is required to pay all expenses associated with their attendance; including travel, lodging and meals
- Departments who have more than one (1) candidate accepted, will be invoiced post-SID Annual Meeting for the additional candidates attendance
OTHER PHD RETREAT INFORMATION
- The SID will arrange for one (1) night of accommodations at the headquarter hotel for Tuesday, May 7th for the selected candidate
- The SID will cover meals associated with the retreat program
- Acceptance to the SID Retreat does not include registration to the SID Annual Meeting
SUBMITTING APPLICATION MATERIALS ONLINE
Ensure the applicant has the following documentation in advance of completing the online application
- Nomination Letter
- Lab Director or Principal Investigator describing candidate’s research potential
- Abstract or Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Abstract to the SID Annual Meeting – OR –
- Letter of Interest (LOI) detailing their research interest and goals
- Candidate’s Biosketch – Limited to 2 pages
Submissions are closed at this time.
- Contact Deb Kovacs in the SID Office at 216.579.9300 x304